Click Here to Login
Writing Center Policies
- Click here to make your appointment online.
- So that everyone may have the opportunity to make an appointment, we allow students to make two appointments each week.
- You can come once a day and twice a week (on non-consecutive days) to the Writing Center.
- Online Meeting: Mentors and students can meet online by scheduling an appointment online and clicking on an available time. Students should email their paper and/or prompt to WritingCenter@swbts.edu.
- Phone appointments: our mentors can also work with you by phone. You will still schedule an appointment, but 24 hours ahead of that appointment time, you will email your paper and prompt to WritingCenter@swbts.edu. Then, at the start of your session, please call extension 2920. (This is ideal for online or distance students.)
- We encourage students to choose 30-minute slots for papers of 5 pages or less or 1-hour slots for longer papers.
- If you find you need to cancel your appointment, you can do so by logging on to our calendar, clicking on your appointment, and then clicking on "cancel this appointment." You will not be able to cancel your appointment within 24 hours of your appointment time, since that does not leave enough time for someone else to take that appointment.
- Please arrive on time to the appointment. If you are more than 15 minutes late, your appointment will be canceled.
- If you miss two appointments without cancelling them (or are more than 15 minutes late for two appointments), you will not be able to make another appointment at the Writing Center for four weeks.
- Students can come with the same paper for different stages of the writing process (brainstorming, research, thesis, organization, SWBTS style, etc), but they are limited to two sessions for grammar or style concerns.
- Our mentors will work with you on improving your writing skills, but they will not correct every single error. Instead, they will point out patterns because their goal is to teach rather than to edit. If you want a proofreader, you may download our proofreader list. Proofreader list
- We can only help with take-home exams if you with written permission from your professor.
- Please email a copy of your assignment instructions and a printed-out copy of what you have written 24 hours before the phone or online appointment appointment.
Are phone services available to both on-campus students and off-campus students? Yes, Writing Center services are available to all SWBTS students.
How do I sign up for an phone appointment? When you are scheduling an appointment at swbts.mywconline.com, select the "phone" option instead of "face-to-face" and choose a 45-minute session rather than 25 minutes. Once you make this appointment, WCOnline will allow you to upload a draft. All phone sessions must be scheduled at least a day in advance.
What happens if I forget to upload my paper? 24 hours before your appointment, send an email to WritingCenter@swbts.edu with your paper and any questions or concerns you have about the paper.
Can I receive help by email without signing up for an appointment? If you are an off-campus student (you live over 30 minutes from the Fort Worth campus and do not come to campus regularly), you can receive Writing Center assistance by email without signing up for an appointment. Just attach your paper and your assignment to an email and send it to WritingCenter@swbts.edu. In your email, let us know that you are an off-campus student. Please allow 72 hours for a response.
Also, let us know what you would like us to look for in particular while reading your paper. Please be specific! For example, your request could be:
- I’m not sure that my points are organized in this paper.
- Do you have suggestions for improving the organization? or
- Could you look through a few paragraphs in the paper for my use of articles (a, an, and the)?
Please do not just write:
- Check grammar or
- Check paper